Monday, December 29, 2014

GF9 Eye Tyrant Part 3 - Basing the mini

Next step in building the the Eye Tyrant is to base the mine to allow to adjust the direction of the eye stalks.

Gale Force 9 included two different bases: a clear oval base and a sculptured base. Additionally there are some magnets included to build a removable base.

I decided to go with the clear base and use the magnets.
First thing I noticed is that the clear base is not completely flat and can swing a little bit back and forth. The second thing is that the magnets seem not strong enough to hold the mini really tight. Just by trying out it snapped several times from the flight stand. Most probably I will exchange the magnets for stronger magnets.

Here are some pictures of the based mini. Also two of the eye stalks are attached to the mini but not yet glued to it. I want the eye stalks to aim to possible characters surrounding the mini. Most of them should look to the front direction but some should look to other sides.







2 comments:

  1. Did you figure out how the connectors worked? I also have this model, but can't determine how the two small plastic connectors fit with the base and peg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had problems basing the mini too. I ended up gluing the short end together with the small magnet into the mini. As far as I remember that small piece didn't really fit into the existing hole.
    The second magnet was glued to the long connector. Now both magnets attract each other AND the long bar is also sliding into the small piece for several milimiters.

    ReplyDelete